How to Heat Formula
- Step 1. Fill a jug or bowl with hot water.
- Step 2. Place your baby’s bottle in the water to heat up, with the water line below the neck of the bottle.
- Step 3. Heat the bottle for 10-15 minutes. Swirl the bottle occasionally to make sure the milk is warmed evenly.
- Step 4. Always check the temperature of the milk by dripping a little onto the inside of your wrist. It should feel lukewarm, not hot.
- Step 5. Feed you baby immediately and never reheat it.
Throw away any re-warmed feed that has not been consumed within two hours. The ideal is to prepare formula as and when needed.
Commercial bottle warmers can also be used. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
Never use a microwave to re-warm bottles. Microwave ovens heat unevenly and may cause ‘hot spots’ that can burn a baby’s mouth. Overheating can also destroy nutrients.