Organic toddler milk and healthy snacks
As your toddler grows and becomes more active, his or her developing body needs more nutrition and energy. Toddlers grow taller, but interestingly, only put on small amounts of weight. Their appetite is small so they need a number of small portions of nutritious food throughout the day. As a result, snack times become nutritionally important, and are an opportunity to feed your toddler nourishment and create mindful eating habits.
The most important thing you can do is to make sure your toddler is eating a balanced diet from each of the 5 main food groups, as solid food is now the main source of nutrition. Remember - they still love milk – and we have one formulated just for them.
Bellamy’s Organic Toddler Milk Drink is a nutritionally balanced milk drink for toddlers 1 - 3 years of age, designed to complement the intake of solid foods, to ensure a balanced diet.
- It contains added calcium, iron and zinc to help build strong bones and fight infection.
- It has added inulin, a prebiotic essential in promoting the growth of good bacteria in the gut, which helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
- 1 cup of prepared Bellamy’s Organic Toddler Milk Drink provides between 25% and 50% of the recommended dietary intake of 16 essential vitamins and minerals.
Bellamy’s Organic Toddler Milk Drink can be used to make custards and sauces for delicious pasta and risotto meals.
Click here for more product information on Bellamy's Toddler Milk
Developing mindful eating habits at this early age will stand them in good stead to keep up a healthy diet for life.
Because your toddler's appetite may vary, some days they can be really hungry and eat lots of everything, and other days hardly anything at all, so it is important to let your toddler decide when to eat or not. There is no need to force your toddler to eat. Avoid mealtime battles. Always offer delicious nutritional meals as usual and let your toddler decide if they want it or not.
If your toddler does not want a meal, remove it and don’t offer anything else. If he/ she is hungry later, offer the same food again.
It’s completely normal for a toddler’s appetite to vary from day to day so don’t worry. Young children can find it difficult to eat large meals as they have small stomachs and fill up quickly. They require small quantities but often get hungry between meals. This is why providing healthy snacks is really important.
Many baby clinics recommend the following tips for healthier toddler snacking and good eating habits:
- Keep Junk food out of the house. Toddlers & children won’t clamour for sweet biscuits and bars if you don’t keep them in the house. Try a natural organic alternative like the Bellamy’s Organic Fruit Snacks range. They are 100% organic fruit, with no added sugar; a delicious crunchy snack afternoon treat!
- Go for the grain. Wholegrain snacks and cereals like our Superbites 5 Grains will give your toddler staying power and energy.
- Mix and match. Serve carrots or other raw vegetables with pieces of cheese, or pieces of fresh fruit dipped into yoghurt. Put a little peanut butter onto a celery stick, apple or banana. Bellamy’s Organic Pinkies are a great convenient choice if you are out and about.
- Broaden their menu. Offer your toddler unusual tastes to broaden the palette and add interest. Include many different types of fruit and vegetables, such as oranges, blueberries, pineapple, sultanas, capsicum, mango, or some almonds. Maybe consider mixing Vegie Macaroni with roasted vegetables like pumpkin, sweet potato and parsnip or you could steam some cauliflower or broccoli.
- Don’t Forget the Fish. Quickly grilled or pan fried fish are simply delicious, and a great natural way of boosting Omega-3. Try some fresh Australian fish fillets like Flathead, Dory or Pink Ling.
- Revisit Breakfast. Many breakfast foods - such as low sugar wholegrain cereals, and whole grain toast - make great afternoon snacks. Likewise, a serving of last night’s pasta might hit the spot mid-afternoon. Why not revisit Bellamy’s Organic Baby Rice or Baby Porridge as an afternoon snack?
Always make snack times nutritional - like mini meal times - with Bellamy’s' extensive organic toddler snack range!
By now, other milk based foods, such as cheese and yoghurts should be regular menu items. If your baby is bottle fed, now is the time to try moving to a cup, although, some babies still like a bottle before going to bed.
Offer food first, and milk or water between meals.
For more information about your toddler's development, see our Resources for Parents.
By the time your baby reaches his/ her first birthday, he/ she will be crawling around and exploring more and more; sometimes standing with help for short periods of time before falling back down, and pulling up on pieces of furniture around the house. Some may even be walking already! Now is the time to increasingly make your home ‘toddler friendly’, and safety issues become of great concern.
Click here to see our great range of toddler meals and great snack range.